Monday, February 7, 2011

Breakfast Room Part I

I have my breakfast room to a point where I don't mind posting pictures.  First, here is a before picture soon after we moved in:


There are five windows in this room.  That alone was a big selling point with me because I love lots of light but it meant making five curtains.  You can see the fabric on the sofa that I ordered for making the curtains for the windows. 

There were lots of problems with this room besides the lack of curtains.  Probably the biggest problem was the table.  We had our formal, mahogany dining room table with our more casual black Windsor chairs.  It gave us more room at the table but looked all wrong.  We moved our smaller, round black table into the room and it looks so much better.

I also didn't like the floor situation.  We have brown tile with brown grout.  That was a common sense choice since we have two dogs who both have a knack for finding any mud in the backyard and tracking it inside.  Our first choice for flooring would be wood, but that was out of the question at this time due to financial constraints.  I like the brown tile but not in this room.  I really wanted a rug like this:


Which is available here for only $600 plus $150 shipping.  That's too much for me.

I also like this rug from Target:


Available here for only $550 with free shipping.   Again, that was too much.

Then I remembered that we already have a rug with a blue background and is the right size.  I didn't have a place for it and was thinking of getting rid of it.  It's not exactly what I want but it does the job and I already own it so it's free.  And an added bonus by putting the rug in the room was that the file cabinet drawer stays closed.  Another problem solved.

I added some pictures to the room.  You can read about some of them here.  I also hung the silhouettes of the kids I had made at Disneyland 12 years ago and again at Christmas just two months ago.  I've also made four of the five drapes so we have more privacy and light control.


My husband started to install the chandelier but ran into a problem with some wiring that our builder needs to fix.  The chandelier is up without it's glass shades and it doesn't work yet, but I'm going to show the room anyway.

So now for the big reveal:






Do you like our sofa?  It's from my mother-in-law.  I hated it when we first got it, but it's kind of grown on me and I love it with the drapes.


It may not stay there forever but for now I like having a place to sit in the sun in the morning.


You can also see the rug in this photo.  It's a little too busy with the drapes, but it looks so much better than the bare tile floor.  It really defines the room and gives it a warm feel.  I can live with it for now.

So, again here it is before:


And after:


What do you think?

Cindy

I'm linking to the following:

The Tattered Tag's Keep It Simple Sunday

Cottage Instinct's Make It 4 Monday

Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday

The Shabby Nest's Frugal Friday

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia's Tuesday's Treasures

A Little Knick Knack's Everything But the Kitchen Sink

Jennifer Rizzo's Refresh Your Room Party

16 comments:

  1. your space looks soo good! love those curtains, and that sofa really brings out the blue in the curtains. i say keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's quite a transformation, even if it isn't complete. It looks great. I love the light and airy feel and the fabric for the drapes is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your breakfast room is coming along very nicely. I LOVE the drapes. And I think the couch looks great there, but then I'm a sucker of older furniture. Congratulations on your new home. I'm your newest follower and I can't wait to read more. Found my way here from Cottage Instincts. I hope you'll visit me at Cottage and Creek and follow back.
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sofa and the silhouttes, but my favorite part is the drapes! I have pillows made from the same fabric in my living room:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your room is turning out very nicely. It feels so good to walk into your room after you've made it better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This room looks wonderful! I love the curtains with that sofa--just what it needed to add sparkle and life! Love that little doggie, too :)
    Sindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cindy - as I was looking at your photos, I thought "wow, that sofa looks awesome with that window fabric!" Ha, then I read what you had written. What a nice "after" you've created.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great transformation, th drape are lovely. Thank you so much for linking to my blog bash K.I.S.S., your inspiring ideas are appreciatd. Please link up more inspiration on Sunday :)

    http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Cindy, I did a post on Covington Wilmington love and featured your treatments. Hope you don't mind! And I LOVE the couch in the breakfast area! I'm thinking about getting rid of our b'fast table and adding a couch and coffeetable. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love your sofa! the whole room looks so pretty and cozy...i really like the chandelier and curtains you put up too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh what a transformation! Love your curtains, and the blue couch is just perfect with them. Your silhouettes are perfect on that wall. Thanks for sharing...I'm inspired to get out my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fabric is that? It is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fabric is Wilmington by Covington. I found it on the Calico Corners website but ordered it through Online Fabric Store here http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/search.htm?Ntk=primary&Ntt=wilmington+covington&Nty=1&D=wilmington+covington&Ntx=mode+matchall&Dx=mode+matchall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm over from My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia and the room looks great! I love the combination of the drapes, settee and silhouettes. It's bright and airy with just the right amount of color. Great job!
    Have a great week!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks lovely! I think the drapes are amazing. It's a comfy, cozy and beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what a difference your colorful drapes made in that room!! I love your couch - give me a call when you want me to pick it up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete