Sunday, November 28, 2010

Doorposts of our House

This afternoon, my husband and I took our Bibles and Sharpies to our new house that's under construction.  We wanted to obey God’s command to write His word on the doorposts of our house from Deuteronomy 6: “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”  Deuteronomy 6:6-9



We wrote something in every room of the house and chose verses that correspond to the activities that we’ll be doing in that room.  Below are the verses we used.

(This post is very word heavy with few pictures but full of scripture.  Scripture is New King James or King James versions.)

At the front door and back door we used  “As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15 and “Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the LORD guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.” Psalm 127:1

By the door from the house to the garage we used  “Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD they God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” Joshua 1:9

Over the big garage door we used  “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”  Hebrews 13:5

In the breakfast room where we start the day we used  “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you.  He will not leave you nor forsake you.”  Deuteronomy 31:6

On the foundation of the house we used  “You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands.”  Hebrews1:10

Over the place where we’ll have our computers in the family room we used  “You have hedged me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me . . .”  Psalm 139:5  . . . and underneath are the everlasting arms.”  Deuteronomy 33:27

Over the place where every bed will be we used  “I will both lie down in peace and sleep; for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.”  Psalm 4:8 and I added this also to the master bedroom, “I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.”  Psalm 3:5

In the music room we used Psalm 100:1-2 “Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands! Serve the LORD with gladness, come before His presence with singing.” and Psalm 33:3 Sing to Him a new song; play skillfully with a shout of joy.” (My husband will practice in this room for the symphony orchestra in which he plays.)

In the attic we used all of Psalm 100.

In the dining room we used Psalm 23:5  “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.”

In the laundry room we used Psalm 51:2 “Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.”

In the bathrooms we used Psalm 36:9 “For with You is the fountain of life; in Your light we see light.”

By the kitchen sink I used some of my favorites: Joshua 1:9 from above and Isaiah 1:16 “Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; put away the evil of your doings from before My eyes.  Cease to do evil.” and added Psalm 26:6 “I will wash my hands in innocence; so I will go about Your altar, O LORD.”

By the phone we mostly use for talking to the kids we used Isaiah 54:13 “All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children.”

In the pantry we used Psalm 81:16 “He would have fed them also with the finest of wheat; and with honey from the rock I would have satisfied you.”

In the family room along the wall on which we’ll have our TV we used Psalm 141:3-4 “Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips.  Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, to practice wicked works with men who work iniquity; and do not let me eat of their delicacies.” and Psalm 101:3 “I will set nothing wicked before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me.”

In my craft room we used Exodus 31:3-4, 6 “And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, to design artistic works . . . I have put wisdom in the hearts of all the gifted artisans, that they may make all that I have commanded you.”

So now our entire house is covered with God’s word. 

Cindy




No comments:

Post a Comment