Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kitchen Stool Slipcover Tutorial

The kitchen stool slipcover tutorial from my August 17 post was requested so here goes:

This is the stool that I wanted to slipcover.  I used some left over drop cloth fabric that I already had. 


This crude sketch was what I hoped to accomplish. 


First I made a pattern of the top of the stool.  I added about a ¼ inch all the way around for a hem.  In hindsight, that was not enough because the thickness of the fabric makes the top of the slipcover fit too tightly on the stool.  I should have added ½ inch all the way around.



I cut a circle out of the fabric for the top of the slipcover.



Since I wanted the sides to be about 3 inches long, I cut a 4 inch wide strip to allow for seams.  To determine how long I needed to make the strip, I used geometry.  The circumference of a circle is p d (pi times the diameter).  To make it easier, just measure the finished diameter of the stool, which is the distance across the top of the stool, and multiply it by 3.14.  I used that distance and added about an inch for seams.



I sewed that strip around the edge of the circle and this is what it looked like.



For the ruffle, I wanted about an inch to show but because I was doubling it, it had to be 2 inches plus the seam allowance.  I cut a strip about 3 inches wide.  I folded the strip in half the long way and did a pleated ruffle as I pinned it to the edge.



After I sewed the ruffle to the bottom, I ran a top stitch along the seam to keep the seam from unraveling.



Here is the finished product. 



This was my first foray into slipcovering but it was an easy project.  I hope someday to slipcover one of my sofas but will probably do a chair first.  I have to thank all the wonderful gals in blogland for sharing their slipcover projects and their tutorials. 

Cindy

2 comments:

  1. Awright! Copied. Im putting this link in my blog coz i know quite a couple who will love this. Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://trumatter.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/some-really-neat-stuff/

    I have by-linked this. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete